[youtube_video] http://youtu.be/No6YfFOGrds [/youtube_video]Being the victim of a crime and cooperating with the authorities can make you eligible to legalize your immigration status with the “U” Visa.

The U.S. Congress passed a law in 2000, providing victims of a crime who cooperate with police or prosecutors to help bring criminals to justice, a visa. Such persons are eligible to be granted a work permit, a visa to travel and reenter the country legally, and to apply for permanent residence.

The “U” Visa provides a legal status to people who present facts which satisfy four main elements:

  • You suffered physical or mental abuse as a result of a qualifying offense under the immigration law;
  • You have information detailing the criminal activities of which you were a victim;
  • You have been or are likely to be an aid in investigations or charges, and
  • The criminal activity violated the laws of the United States occurred in the United States.

Another benefit of the “U” Visa is that in typical migration barriers are not being able to become a U.S resident because of the time spent in the U.S. undocumented or because of previous deportations, crimes, and other spots in the record of the applicant. However, there are waivers in the laws that allow the applicant to adjust their status despite things other serious barriers in the migration process. So, even with several problems on your record, you can adjust your status with the “U” Visa because the U.S. Congress wants crimes involving an undocumented person being brought to justice.

One can also petition for various family members within the package. If the victim is under 21 years of age, they can also apply for a visa for their: spouse, unmarried children under 21, parents and unmarried siblings under 18 years. If you have more than 21 years you may apply for your: spouse, unmarried children under 21 years. Also, after you have your “U” Visa for more than 3 years you can apply for permanent residency in the U.S.

Write a comment:


Your email address will not be published.

© 2016 Abogado de Inmigracion en North Carolina - Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC - Smithfield Raleigh Charlotte, NC